Tuesday, May 25, 2010

My "friend" owes money and now doesnt want to pay back. Can I sue him?

He borrowed 2k and luckily I wrote him a check otherwise I have no proof. But he is bullsh*tt*ng about paying me back... And hes been stringing me along so to make it seem like he didn't bail on me. Well it has been a month and I could use the money. Can I file this in small claims court? Even though theres no WRITTEN agreement of him paying me back...will a verbal agreement suffice?? I have a copy of the cashed check. PLEASE ANY ADVICE WILL HELP. Thank you.
Answers:
Yes you can but I have a better idea. Before you take him to the small claims court, get a lawyer to send him a letter. It will probably get your money back since the lawyer can send the letter almost instantly. When you file a small claims case it might take a few months until your claim is heard.

Sorry to hear about your friend owing you money. I have been in the same situation before.
Of course. Small claims courts do this all the time. It will cost around $65 or so to file.
Yes, sue the jerk in small claims. Take the original cancelled check with you to court. Be ready to tell the judge the background of how you loaned him money.
Sure thing, assuming you had a verbal agreement from him to pay it back. Lesson learned, get stuff like this in writing. I lent a good friend just a few hundred a long time ago and drafted an agreement. Protects both sides.
Go for it. And maybe you can make it into one of the court shows on TV
I think it is worth looking into but you have to be careful not to get to deep into legal fees . (If any). You know that you are gonna lose this friendship and to be honest if he can not be a man of his word and pay you back then you don't need him anyway. Sue him!
of course you can. take him to small claims court
a written agreement would help your case but I'd for sure take him to court.. The least that would happen is them say no... It's worth a try.. You should get it back as long as you think he will not lie about him having to pay it back... they will probably take your side...
yes you have a stub from the check theres your proof you are really Lucky you have that! and he ain't no friend! dont ever lend him money ever again...well i know u probably wont but that is pretty fucked up to do that to someone who is Nice enough to give it to you in the first place!
You can file a civil suit. A judgement will be brought against him, but it will still be up to you to collect the money owed.
Go on Judge Judy or any one of those court tv shows

No comments:

Post a Comment

 


M Q © 2008. Design by: Pocket Web Hosting

vc .net