Tuesday, May 25, 2010

My boss is verbally abusive, what should i do?

For the last few months, one of my bosses has been very verbally abusive to me. I have gone to the presedent of the company and she has told me she would talk to her, but nothing has changed. I have even told her if it continues I am going to press charges and sue her for the abuse. What are the next steps I should take? Thanks in advance for your help.
Answers:
Start looking for other employment...

That is my policy at all times really, even if I'm happy with my current job, I always have back-up employment lined up. Even if it's just temporary work until I can find something in my field. Anything to lighten the burden on my "emergency funds" until I can find another decent paying job.

Everyone is replaceable, no one owes you a job, and there will come a time when you don't get along with the management.
shoot him in the face
Talk to the presidnet of the company again and then talk to him in the face. Try not to bring a middle person in. Just go up to him...keep your cool and tell him what you are feeling. Good Luck with everything.
Talk to the President of the company one more time and tell them your next call will be to the EEOC if they do not fix this problem within the next 3 days.
Report her. The longer you wait the worse it's going to get. If you wait too long when you finally do report her they will ask why you waited so long.
Nobody should have to go through abuse of any kind in the work place. You should pursue the step you said that you would and press charges. Especially if this has been going on for months. Good luck :)
Try getting some direct evidence of the abuse ie, tape recordings or an eye witness and sue him/her. You must also be able to prove damages caused by the abuse. Good luck..
Quit and find a new job.
If you're serious about taking action, you'll need as much evidence as you can gather. Keep a diary of these incidents, with as much detail as possible. If you can, get others to witness the abuse too. You should talk to your HR department if you have one, or a Union rep if thats applicable.

On the other hand, you could try managing your boss. What triggers these incidents? Is your boss responding inappropriately to some issue between the two of you? Is she getting hassle from HER boss when these incidents happen? Could you avoid the problem by handling your boss differently? This isnt to say that your boss isn't responsible for her own actions - of course she is. But to use an old joke:

"Every time I do X, my boss is mean to me, what should I do?"
"Well, you could stop doing X".

The serious point is, assuming your boss isn't just a complete b**ch, the two of you should be wanting the same thing - to do a good job, keep the customer happy, make money, live the good life. That won't happen if you arent working together - so its not in your interest or your bosses interest to keep going the way you are. Something needs to change, and one thing you can try is to take some control of the situation yourself.

Or, if its just a job and not THE Job, the easiest course of action is to start looking for a new boss.
get a lawyer. Make sure you have witnesses that will stand up for you in court. Otherwise it is hearsay.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 


M Q © 2008. Design by: Pocket Web Hosting

vc .net