Tuesday, May 25, 2010

My apartment was robbed, what shoud I do?

I came home early from class, noticed the back door open, then called the police. Everything had been dug through, but all that was stolen was a laptop, some washing detergent, and a bag of Durritos. The police said that it must be someone at the complex who was watching me and my schedule to know when I would be gone, and it looked like I interupted him when I came home early. He broke in through the window, it was locked along with the doors. Completely not my or my husbands' fault. Our lease isn't up until Feb of next year, but my husband is in the navy and is gone every other month, and is worried that I could have been raped or worse had he not been there, so naturally we want to leave. But they say that since he isn't being "restationed" anywhere, it isn't there responsiblity, so we either have to pay 3 times or rent to get out, our suck it up. Im alone every night since my husband is on night shift. I'm scared, and my husband's worried, what can we do? Should we hire an attorney
Answers:
Have you talked to anybody on Post or his Chain of Command?.Do you know anyone that can stay with you??.What do you feel about firearms there are many that you could become efficient in using.What about getting a dog?...You could pay to get it K9 trained that is better than any firearm in most cases.
Do you need a lawyer I wouldnt think this is a situation that requires a lawyer.Things like this happen all over the world and yeah as bad as it sucks the Apartment Complex even if it has private security they cant be everywhere every minute so the Complex isnt liable...
I would however talk to your housing office on post and see if they cant suggest some things to you...
I would like to say Thank You to you though...being a Military Wife is the Hardest Job in the Military...I am sure your husband appreciates you very much.
If you need anymore help or advice please contact me...Best of luck!
Buy a gun and learn how to use it.
Buy a gun and move to a safer location when your lease is up.
Change the locks, get a watch dog, make sure there is plenty of lighting at every entrance to your home, and make the police aware of your situation, they can do quick driveby's to make sure everything is good.
Yes, you should hire an attorney. You have a good reason to get out of the lease. You can get out of almost any residential lease.
I would go for a couple of days with a family member or my friend. And/Or, I would have someone staying with me for a couple of days.

Or, I will get a home alarm system. And I will also put on every window and doors of my home a whole bunch of rat traps.

If it's someone that's watching you, then I don't believe that they would try to get into your home while you are their. It doesn't seem that they do not have any intention to personally harm you.

But since you never know, I would always be cautious. Probably even sleep in my living room instead of my bedroom. Paranoia? Maybe? Who knows? I am not in your situation. I know I would be.
Hiring an attorney will be expensive. Read your lease with a fine tooth comb. Look for all the reasons you'd be able to get out of your lease. If none of them work try lying to make them fit. If you post your lease onlin i'll look at it and see if you have the ability to leave without paying.
Your apartment was not "robbed" it was burglarized. You cannot rob an object or a dwelling, only a person. Robbery requires threat of bodily harm. Burglary in making illegal forced (or non forced) entry into a structure for the purpose of committing a crime.

To answer your question of response -- yes you need to hire an attorney to protect your rights from your landlord.
does the Navy have a family services office? Perhaps they could help you with legal issues and speak to the landlord on your behalf.
u informed 911 thats all v can do



its hard to say but its some1 of ur neighbour!
he/she is either tooo proffesional or just un proffesional
Talk to an attorney. It could have been a random crime. So try to have an alarm system installed that has a loud audio output so it will scare someone if they try to break in again. I'm sorry you had to go through this and i am glad you was not at home.
your husbands got a gun, learn how to use it

No comments:

Post a Comment

 


M Q © 2008. Design by: Pocket Web Hosting

vc .net