Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Money question please?

When I first got a transfer from one site to another in my job, the bosses at my new site said I couldn't work because they had not yet got a payroll number for me. I lost a week of work. Can I claim the wages back, as they wouldn't let me work, it's not like I called in sick or didn't turn up. I turned up twice and they sent me home. I've been there nearly two years and still haven't seen my wages for that week.
Answers:
If you were still working for the same employer before and after then yes. Got to the Citizens Advice Bureau and get some help with this or go to a solicitor and get some advice. They will probably pay you if you speak to them armed with the law and sound like you know what you are talking about. Always do these things by letter as they cannot avoid responding to a letter whereas they can "forget" you spoke to them etc. Even if you speak to them send a letter first and a follow up confirmation letter if necessary. Make sure all communication is recorded by you writing a letter.
If they sent you away, and you were willing to work, then what you should have done is apply for unemployment. They would have paid you for the time, and the company would have ended up paying for that.

Speak to your HR person. Inform them of the situation, and find out what they say. My understanding is that if you are able to work, and it is the company that is "dismissing" you, then they have to pay you for the time. But again, it all depends. Check with HR, or with the state labor department. Maybe even a lawyer that specializes in work-related law.
go see citizen advice bureau if you are in the UK or any other citizen assistance office with legal help

No comments:

Post a Comment

 


M Q © 2008. Design by: Pocket Web Hosting

vc .net