Tuesday, May 25, 2010

My black friend hates the black race...what do I do?

Great guy...don't get me wrong. I'm Mexican and most of our friends are Latin or White. He's constantly talking trash about his race. We do nothing to encourage this. How can I help him be more accepting and less judgemental about his own race? I'd hate to just cut him off. Thanx.
Answers:
He's understandably ticked off at his own kind. I mean, popular black culture today is all about gangster rappers, bitches and ho's, etc., and has been for at least a decade now. Successful black role models like Clarence Thomas are held in contempt, and trying to succeed in school or the business world is considered "Acting White." Would you want anything to do with that culture?

Maybe slip in some positive black role models in your conversations like, "Hey I was watching the Cosby show the other day. I can't believe all that Cosby has done. I mean he's earned a PhD in Education, won an Emmy for his work on I, Spy, ....
self hate?

well, there's nothing that YOU can do about that, he's gotta work that out on his own...
Probably because they all live off the system!! Well most of them. They need to quit having babys they can not support!
Logic works wonders. Remind him that his opinions are blanket generalisations and probably not accurate at all.

Oh, and don't just "do nothing to encourage" it. Actively DIScourage it. He won't get that you don't like it or agree with it unless you outright tell him that it's unacceptable behavior. No need to cut him off if he's willing to change his speech.
Tell him to do his history.all black people are not the same, and as for the guy above...WATCH WHAT YOU SAY BECAUSE I WORK FOR THE SYSTEM AND NUMBERS DON'T LIE! THERE ARE MORE WHITES THAN BLACKS!!
I would suggest that if he hasn't asked for your help than you shouldn't think you need to help him, nor offer it. But perhaps you should try to understand why he feels the way he does. Then, if he ever *wants* your help, you will have a better foundation to help him with it.
He will have to work it out himself,my skin color is white,but i don't care much for the white race,my race of choice is mexicano.
He probably has only seen the negative sides of his race, like all the stereotypes. Try showing him all the hard-working and intelligent people in the black or African race (scientists, writers, poets, queens, celebrities, etc). I'm Mexican and some of my brothers were very ashamed of saying they were Mexican when they were in high school because of all the bad images of Mexicans in the media. Now that they are older and have visited Mexico, and study the history they are very proud of who they are. He's probably brainwashed into thinking black people can't be "good".

No comments:

Post a Comment

 


M Q © 2008. Design by: Pocket Web Hosting

vc .net